Join us for a fabulous Indian Cuisine Cookery and Supper Evening on Friday 9th October to learn how to cook Chickpea Dahl, Spinach Paratas and Pura (Spicy omelette).
About this class
Using a variety of fresh and dried spices, this great dahl (chole), can be eaten hot or cold – wholesome, tasty and colourful.
Often found in the west coast Gujarat state of India (which is where my parents are from), this dish combines a heady mix of savoury with the fresh tartness of lemon juice and fresh coriander.
You will be taught to make unleavened bread in the form of spinach paratas – a sneaky way of introducing greens to those who may be otherwise reluctant. A fun tasty flatbread (yeast free), you will make the dough then roll them out ready for cooking. I will then show how to cook them using a frying pan (although in Gujarat a tawi is normally used, you will see this during the class).
Finally, I will show you how to make a delicately spiced omelette. We will prepare this during the class which then allows you to choose to cook it just before serving your meal should you wish to.
The dahl is naturally vegan and the paratas can be adapted to be vegan.
What you will learn
In this class you will learn:
– how to balance flavours and textures within Indian cuisine.
– how to make and roll yeast free flat bread
– how to layer flavours with seasoning
– how to make your spices feel loved and used accordingly 🌶
– how to store fresh and dry spices
– how to create a dahl that can be frozen
I will also be on hand throughout the class to answer any questions you may have.
Ingredients needed Download Ingredients
Servings : A generous 2 servings
Chickpea Dahl (Chole)
– 1 -2 tbsp vegetable oil/ rapeseed oil
– 1 can chickpeas – drained and washed
– 1 can chopped tomatoes
– 4 spring onions or 1 medium onion
– 50gm root ginger
– 1 – 2 fresh green chillies or 1 tsp chilli powder
– 1 -2 cloves fresh garlic
– garam masala
– 1 lemon or 2 tsp lemon juice
– small handful fresh coriander
– a little hot water
– 150gm wholewheat to plain flour
– 70 gms frozen chopped spinach – defrosted
– chilli powder
Indian Style Omellette
– 4 eggs
– 1 spring onion or a little diced onion
– 20 gms fresh ginger
– chilli powder
– ground cumin
– butter/ vegetable margarine
I use Seasoned Pioneers 🌶 for all my spices
– saucepan with lid – mine is 18cms in diameter
– frying pan – mine is 28cms in diameter
– fish slice, or similar utensil
– 2 clean tea towels
– chopping board
– a sharp knife
– a rolling pin
– clean dry work area to roll the paratas on OR a pastry board
Before the class starts please:
– drain your chickpeas
– defrost the chopped frozen spinach
– measure out the flour